• Artist residency + Lecture at KSMoCA Nov 5, 10am PDT
• Artist-in-residence at PSU’s Art and Social Practice MFA. 2020-2021
• RELACIONES ENTRE: encuentro de arte, ecología e interdisciplinareidad Simposio organizado por FIBRA Colectivo en colaboración con el Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Lima y Fundación Telefónica Movistar. Oct 22 — Nov 12, 7:00pm PET
• Panel de Diseño y Naturaleza, Congreso Académico de Diseño CADi 2020: Reemergencias Oct 19, 6:00-7:45pm GMT-5
• Digital Exhibition: Sojourner 2020, Ars Electronica, In Kepler's Gardens - Space Has Arrived
• Sojourner 2020 Artist Conversation, Ars Electronica, Sept 10 11:00-12:30 EST
• Agua, tierra (mágica) y hongos. Sobre tres proyectos expositivos llevados a cabo en el MAC Lima por Giuliana Vidarte en Terremoto.mx, Jul 16
• C3:Papermaking Residency, c3:initiative and Pulp & Deckle studio, throughout July
• Artist talk for “Interspecies Collaboration” course, Rhode Island School of Design, Apr 16
• Desbosque: desenterrando señales (exposición del colectivo FIBRA) Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Lima, upcoming opening
• Xin Liu and I are sending potato seeds to low earth orbit with MIT's Earthlings open call and as part of our project Unearthing Futures: the decolonizing potential of potatoes, Mar 6
Mixed media // 2017-ongoing
"Ways of being are emergent effects of encounters" Anna Tsing
Plants, trees and people // 2010-ongoing
Found tree limbs + second hand shoes // 2015, 2016
Installation of plants connected to the human organ system, a drawing table with speakers and a pen attached to a contact microphone // 2013
Fabric, water-soluble and permanent markers, thread, appliqués, ribbons // 2008-2009
[experimental] Conversations between people speaking in foreign languages // 2013-2015
Lucia Monge is a Peruvian artist with a background in education and art + science collaboration. Her work explores the way humans position ourselves within the natural world and relate to other living beings, especially plants. For the past nine years she has organized Plantón Móvil, a yearly “walking forest” performance that leads to the creation of public green areas. This year it was organized in collaboration with the Queens Museum, NYC Parks, John Bowne Highschool and local community groups and supported by Citywide Nursery and the Queens Botanical Garden.
Monge has exhibited in South America, Europe, and the United States as well as at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP20). She has presented her work in conferences including Performance Climates at Melbourne University and Open Engagement at the Queens Museum and has been included in publications such as Global Performance Issues and MoMA’s Uneven Growth as well as in the popular press.
Lucia holds a BFA from Universidad Católica del Peru and a MFA from Rhode Island School of Design. She taught Design in Experimental + Foundation Studies at RISD and Studio Foundation and 3D Foundations in the Visual Arts Department at Brown University. She has recently relocated to Portland, Oregon.